We hold to THE AUTHORITY OF THE BIBLE.
• We believe that the Holy Bible, both the Old and New Testament, are the infallible Word of God.
• We believe that God has spoken with Authority and in a reliable way through the Bible.
• We acknowledge the Bible to be the rule for our faith and behaviour.
• We believe that the Word of God, through the work of the Holy Spirit, is able to make all people wise unto salvation.
• We believe the Bible (from the Greek word biblos, Greek for ‘book’), to be a collection of ancient writings setting out God’s revelation to mankind, telling the story of God’s relationship with people the crown of his creation. We believe the Bible has been ‘God-breathed’ – that God inspired the writers as they recorded his words.
We believe this to be foundational to the Christian faith. Through the Bible people can learn more about God and the unfolding of his eternal plan to restore all people and the entire world to himself, by sending his son Jesus Christ to live on earth.
There are two sections to the Bible – the Old Testament made up of writings before the time of Jesus and the New Testament containing writings from during and after Jesus’ life on earth.
We accept the bible cannon as 39 books in the Old Testament and 27 in the New Testament, as listed in the Belgic and Westminster Confessions – links to CRCA website)
The Bible was written over a period of more than 1,000 years, by more than forty different people and written in several different types of writings. The Old Testament has historical books, law, poetry, wisdom and prophetic books. The New Testament has four Gospels, one history book, 21 letters and one prophetic book.
It is the world’s best-selling book.